Epic Housing > Your home > Benefit changes > Universal credit

From February 2016 a new benefit has been introduced in Stoke-on-Trent for single people who make a new claim for what used to be called Jobseekers Allowance (JSA).


The main differences to the old benefit systems are:


  • You have to claim Universal Credit online.

  • You may not get any money for up to 6 weeks from the date you claim.

  • Payments will be made monthly rather than fortnightly.

  • Universal Credit also replaces Housing Benefit – any payments towards your rent will be made to you – you must then pay your full rent over to EPIC


If you make a claim for Universal Credit PLEASE LET US KNOW


  • 01782 252581


You will find it easier to manage your money if you have a bank account, rather than a Post Office card account. You can call into a bank and ask to open a basic bank account – these types of account don’t let you get overdrawn. You would need to provide proof of your identity and address. For further guidance click here 

Over time all customers of working-age claiming JSA, Employment & Support Allowance, Child Tax & Working Tax Credit, Income Support and Housing Benefit, will be moved over to Universal Credit. This process will take several years. For more information go to:

Universal Credit Information

Universal Credit Advice & Guidance