Fire Safety at EPIC
Further to the recent fire at a block of flats in Grenfell Tower, London, we would like to assure all of our tenants that we have undertaken a review of our fire safety arrangements and practices to ensure your safety and the safety of our properties. As a result the Senior Management Team will be recommending that hard wired smoke alarms are installed in all of our 6 block communal areas as a matter of priority. We would also like to confirm that we have no properties with the type of cladding used on the Grenfell Tower.
To reassure you all, we can confirm that the following fire safety measures are in place:
- Each block with a communal area is fire risk assessed. The last fire risk assessments were completed in November 2016 and the next ones have been brought forward to August 2017.
- We complete an annual check to the gas system to each property.
- We are part way through completing a programme of electrical testing to the flats.
- We fit cookers free of charge to ensure that they have been installed correctly.
- We display no smoking signs and fire exit signs at relevant points in the communal areas.
- We fit smoke detectors in each property; these are tested annually at the same time as the gas service.
- There is emergency lighting to the communal areas of blocks of 6 flats, which is tested annually, by a specialist contractor and last competed in March 2017. The lighting is approximately 15 years old and considered by our contractor to be in good condition.
- The bedroom windows meet the requirements of a secondary means of escape (more than 0.33m2 in opening area) if escape is not possible from the front door.
- The annual gas check requests the operative to assess the properties for any tenant installed works or electrical sockets which may be a cause of concern, for example broken or scorched sockets. The assessment also assesses the condition of the property as a whole and does identify any problems with the condition of the property. Any suspicion of tampering with meters is reported to the energy suppliers and the Police.
In addition we are currently in the process of organising a pilot stock condition survey and a review of fire safety is included in the specification.
The above measures are only effective however, if all tenants comply with their responsibilities, including allowing us access once a year to undertake the Gas Safety check and annual check of your smoke alarm and ensure that you do not use the communal areas to store furniture or any other flammable objects.
If any tenants are concerned about fire safety in their home then please contact us on 01782 252575 and we will be happy to discuss your concerns.